LiveWire is hosting a series of staffed drop-in events at Birchwood Library and Birchwood Leisure and Tennis Complex to invite members of the community and public to share their thoughts and views on the relocation of the library to the leisure centre to create a new community hub.
The informal sessions, which start on Tuesday 17 May, offer an insight into the future of the library, including a look at the plans. Displays of the redevelopment plans will be at both sites from today (Monday 16 May).
The redevelopment is being funded by Warrington Borough Council, including using income from the sale of the former St Oliver Plunkett school site, which the council is committed to investing in local community facilities. Work is anticipated to begin later this year and is planned to be completed in early 2023.
Key elements of the redevelopment include:
- Transformation of an underutilised bar area and associated space into a modern, open plan library offer, including children’s area and public network computers
- Refurbishment of the reception area
- Refurbishment of leisure changing room facilities
- A new, second, fitness studio on the ground floor
- Creation of extra fitness studio space, through the extension of the existing first floor studio
The current gym, indoor and outdoor tennis courts managed by LiveWire will be retained, alongside the existing school sports hall.
The facility will utilise the borough’s established and successful hub model that places leisure, library and other community services under one roof, to encourage people to participate in new activities to support mental and physical wellbeing.
The relocation of the library falls under Warrington’s ongoing libraries modernisation plan, which has seen improvements made across the library estate, including refurbishments at Stockton Heath and Padgate libraries, to be followed soon by improvements to Penketh and Culcheth.
- Tuesday 17 May, 4.30pm – 6pm
- Saturday 21 May, 10am – 12noon
- Monday 23 May, 11am – 12noon
- Friday 27 May, 3pm – 5pm
- Wednesday 1 June, 10.30am – 11.30am
Birchwood Leisure and Tennis Complex
- Thursday 19 May, 9.30am – 10.30am
- Wednesday 25 May, 3pm – 4pm
- Monday 30 May, 7pm – 8pm
- Saturday 11 June, 12noon – 1pm