A series of public engagement events begin this month, giving residents the opportunity to view the plans to build a sustainable future for the library, widen its usage and extend its role in the community.
The plans, which have been developed by the South Warrington Libraries Working Group; and SWISH (Friends of the South Warrington Library in Stockton Heath), include:
- Upgrading the building for provision of rental areas to ensure income streams
- Widening the scope of community engagement with library provision and activities
- Adapting the library to better accommodate the range of local needs/disabilities such as dementia or sensory disability
- Increasing the building flexibility to extend the potential range of activities, such as literary events or cultural presentations
Warrington Borough Council’s executive board member for leisure and community, Cllr Tony Higgins, said: “We have made a commitment to build a sustainable future for our libraries, and we are now delivering on that commitment. I’m delighted that the investment promises we have made are now coming to fruition – not only at Stockton Heath, but at libraries across the borough.
“The Stockton Heath Library plans are great example of what we can achieve, by working with communities and partners. I’d urge all local people to attend one of the engagement events, to find out more about the exciting plans and to ask any questions they may have about the future of the library.”
Dates of the engagament events
The sessions are as follows:
- Mon 15th Oct: 11am-12.30pm
- Thurs 18th Oct: 4.30pm-6pm
- Sat 20th Oct: 11am-12.30pm
Half term week
- Tues 23rd Oct: 12 noon-1:30pm
- Fri 26th Oct: 5pm-6.30pm
- Mon 29th Oct: 2.30pm-4pm
- Thurs 1st Nov: 10.30am-12 noon
- Sat 3rd Nov: 11am-12.30pm
Appleton ward councillor, and Chair of SWISH Working Group, Cllr Sharon Harris, said: “I am absolutely thrilled that the South Warrington Library (in Stockton Heath) Working Group, together with the SWISH Friend’s Group have some very positive news to share about the future of our Library.
“A business plan has been developed to ensure that the library extends its community role whilst developing community based income streams, to help ensure that library services will be sustained and developed for all into the foreseeable future. This has culminated in some exciting plans being drawn up and we hope the work will be completed before summer 2019.
“Please come along to one of the events, view the plans for the changes, and discuss them with a SWISH Working Group member or a member of the SWISH Friends’ Group.”
More information about the development of Stockton Heath Library
The developments in Stockton Heath are part of Warrington Council’s £1m strategy to sustain and improve libraries across the borough.
After the consultation on the future of Warrington’s Libraries, a Working Group for South Warrington was set up in April 2017 to work with Warrington Borough Council and Livewire.
A SWISH Library Friend’s Group initiated by the Working Group was established in August 2017. It aims to support the service, widen the use of the library and raise funds to assist in this endeavour.
The business plan for Stockton Heath involves creating rental space within the library building. Arrangements are in place for three rental agreements:
- South Warrington News
- Catalyst Choices (an agency which provides support and learning support for people with disabilities)
- Stockton Heath Parish Council, who will relocate the Parish Council Office to the Library.