Pop-Up Museum & Library unveils FREE summer activity programme
The temporary Museum & Library in Golden Square Shopping Centre, run by LiveWire and Culture Warrington, has unveiled its free summer activity programme.
Families heading to the town centre this July and August should head along to the vibrant Pop-Up Museum & Library that is already proving a hit with shoppers.
Museum and Library collections temporarily moved over to a unit in the shopping centre in May to allow for essential maintenance work to be carried out on the historic Museum Street building.
The 164-year old, Grade-II listed building in Museum Street will be closed for approximately six months while restoration work is completed, including vital repairs to the roof, after which the services will return to their permanent home.
Visitors can access all of the Museum & Library’s essential services, including book lending, IT and archives services, and enjoy highlights from the museum’s extensive collection.
And now LiveWire and Culture Warrington can announce the long-awaited return of reading, digital, and craft activities, just in time for the school holidays.
Wendy Molyneux, Strategic Library Manager for LiveWire, said: “During the pandemic we have worked very hard to continue to deliver library services digitally, remotely and in our library buildings when allowed. But it is fantastic that we are now in a position to relaunch activities and events in our libraries – just in time for summer. There’s so much going on at the Pop-Up Museum & Library over the next few months, from storytime sessions to the Summer Reading Challenge. We can’t wait to welcome families to enjoy what’s on offer.”
Leah Biddle, Cultural Manager at Culture Warrington, said: “Face to face workshops and talks is something we have sadly had to pause this past last year so we can’t wait to welcome our visitors back and allow them to delve deeper into the museum and art gallery collections through our summer programme. I hope that after enjoying the selection of objects we have on offer at the pop up that visitors will be excited to see our diverse collection when we reopen our permanent venue later this year.”
Booking is essential for some events due to limited numbers. Please see below for details.
Pop-Up Museum & Library Summer Programme of Events and Activities:
- Summer Holiday Crafts – starts Monday 2nd August. 10.45am to 11.30am & 2.30pm to 3.15pm. Prebookable.
- Summer Holiday Crafts. Prebookable. 10.00am to 3.00pm.
- Talks on the museum collections. Suitable for the whole family. Drop in at 10.00am.
- Object Enquiry Service. Bring in any treasures you’d like identifying by for advice on their conservation and care (please note, no valuations will be made). Drop in from 2.00pm to 4.00pm.
- Summer Holiday Crafts. 10.00am to 3.00pm. Prebookable.
- Made.Digital Workshops.Free digital workshops for children. 1.00pm to 2.00pm and 2.30pm to 3.30pm (Please note, on Friday 6th August and Friday 3rd September workshop runs from 1.00pm to 3.00pm).
- Storytime sessions. 11.00am to 11.30am. Prebookable.
- Crafternoons. Free, fun craft activities for the whole family. Prebookable.
- Unplugged Sundays. Drop in from 12noon to 2.00pm to enjoy some screen free family time playing boardgames.
Summer Reading Challenge. Take part and become a ‘Wild World Hero’ as this year’s event has a nature theme. Read books to earn rewards over the summer.
The Pop-Up Museum & Library will be open between 10am and 4.30pm on weekdays, 10am to 4pm on Saturdays, and 11am to 3pm on Sundays.
To book any of these activities call into the Pop-Up Museum & Library and speak to staff or call 01925 442889.