WARRINGTON Libraries will be celebrating National Libraries Week 8-13 October 2018, the annual showcase of all the creative, innovative and diverse activities that UK libraries have to offer.
Warrington Libraries have a number of activities planned throughout the week. Discover the range of things you can do at your library, from meeting local authors, finding out more about your local area, learning activities for children, and managing your health.
Events being held as part of National Libraries Week include a session with popular thriller writer Sarah Ward, and a session with local author Marissa Pendlebury. There will also be a camera club, a read and relax session, and a presentation about Burtonwood Airbase.
Over the course of the week (8-13 October), residents will also be challenged to visit five different libraries, to borrow at least one book from each library, and to get a special card stamped. On completion of the challenge, residents will have a chance to win a £25 book token.
Chris Everett, Senior Community Librarian, said: “Our libraries have become real community hubs and have come a long way since they were places where you just read books and had to be quiet. I would encourage residents to make the most of all the services and activities on offer at their local library in Warrington by getting involved in National Libraries Week.
“Visit your local library to find out about the diverse range of activities that are on offer to bring communities together, combat loneliness, provide a space for reading and creativity.
“To celebrate National Libraries Week, we’re really excited to be holding some fantastic events and activities at libraries across the borough.”
- Meet popular thriller writer Sarah Ward at Culcheth Library on Monday 8 October, 6.30pm to 8.00pm. Tickets priced at £2.50 are available from any LiveWire library.
- Camera Club at Orford Library on Wednesday 10 October, 1:30pm to 4.00pm. Warrington District Camera Club will be offering photography tips and advice.
- Read and Relax session at Great Sankey Library on Thursday 11 October, 10:35am to 11:45am. Take some time out at a new Read to Relax reading group at Great Sankey Library.
- Burtonwood Airbase presentation at Burtonwood Library on Thursday 11 October, 6:30pm. Tickets are £2.00, available from any LiveWire library.
- Meet local author Marissa Pendlebury at Westbrook Library on Friday 12 October between 5:30pm and 7.00pm. This is a free event.
Warrington Borough’s executive board member for leisure and community, Cllr Tony Higgins, said: “Libraries are the perfect place not only to read and learn, but also to build community links. That’s why we’re investing so heavily in their future.
“Libraries Week gives everybody the opportunity to find out about all the fantastic things on offer at our libraries, for people of all ages – from reading clubs and storytimes, to special talks, and computer clubs. It’s a great chance to re-discover your local library, so make sure you get involved in the week, attend one of the special events, or take up the five-library challenge.”
Warrington Libraries also offer a range of regular activities and clubs every week. Residents should visit their local library for a list of regular activities and clubs taking place each week. Find a local library – https://livewirewarrington.co.uk/library/using-livewire-libraries/find-a-library