Top Tips To Quit Smoking
- Category: Lifestyle
- Published: 08 January 2020
Its a New Year and a new decade! What better time to create new and healthy habits and kick the unhealthy ones back to 2019...
Our Smokefree Advisor Helen has put together some simple tips to help you quit smoking this New Year...
There are many benefits to stopping smoking, including many health benefits and saving money. Whatever your goals, LiveWire can help you every step of the way.
On average, people who smoke 20 cigarettes a day, spend an estimated £232 per month, that’s over £2,500 a year! By quitting smoking there are many things that the extra money could be put towards, whether it’s booking a family holiday, buying a new car or paying off some bills, stopping smoking will make life easier. What else could you spend that money on? Calculate how much money you could save using our stop smoking calculator.
Helens Tips to Quit:
- Contact your local stop smoking service for help and advice. You're up to 4 times more likely to stop smoking for good if you use a combination of stop smoking treatment and receive support from a Stop Smoking Service
- Drink more water. Smokers bodies are more acidic so when you quit you may suffer from dehydration, dry mouth or ulcers as water in your body is used to help repair the damage. Drinking more water will help with these withdrawal symptoms but also act as distraction technique when you get a craving.
- Go for a walk. Take some deep breaths of fresh air and take a walk as a distraction to your cravings.
- Work out how much each cigarette in your pack costs. That way each time you do smoke you know how much its costing you.
- Reward yourself. Save the money you would spend on cigarettes and buy yourself something nice or maybe save it up for something a little bit more special.
What support can you get?
If you live or work in Warrington, LiveWire can provide you with friendly and helpful Stop Smoking support and advice. Remember, you’re four times more likely to quit successfully with support than if you go it alone.
- Our 1 to 1 appointments give you the opportunity to speak with an advisor on your own. Your first appointment you have will normally be 30 minutes and the following sessions will allow for 15 minutes. We’ll create a plan of action to help you on your journey to quitting and you’ll have tailored support every step of the way. View the timetable for a session taking place near you or alternatively call one of the Lifestyles helpful advisors on freephone 0300 003 0818.
We have a trained advisor on hand waiting to chat to you to answer any questions you may have via our Facebook page. You’ll get all the same help and support as a drop in as well as peer support from people going through the same journey.
Search @smokefreewarrington for more details.
- Visit one of our Drop In Sessions - All the same advice and support just no appointment needed. Just walk in and there will be an advisor waiting to see you. See our drop in timetable. To make your first session a little quicker, complete a referral form below so that we have all your details before you walk through the door.