Stockton Heath Library to close for 12 weeks for redevelopment
- Category: Libraries
- Published: 22 May 2019
Stockton Heath Library will close for 12 weeks from Saturday 1st June as it undergoes a £200,000 redevelopment.
The library, on Alexandra Road, is the first of the town’s libraries to benefit from Warrington Borough Council’s library investment programme.
It will reopen in September 2019 and improvements being made during the redevelopment include:
- Dementia Friendly design principles applied throughout.
- More fit for purpose facilities for the community of South Warrington.
- Full lighting replacement.
- Redecoration throughout.
- More flexible spaces to extend range of activities and events at the library.
- New kitchenette for community use.
- Reconfigured internal space to improve access for the community outside of library opening hours.
- Redeveloped space that will enable co-location for third party organisations such as Stockton Heath Parish Council.
During the closure period, LiveWire will be offering a reduced library service from Broomfields Leisure Centre, on Broomfields Road in Appleton, on the following days/times:
- Monday 10.00am to 12.00pm
- Tuesday 4.00pm to 6.00pm
- Friday 10.00am to 12.00pm
- Saturdays 10.00am to 1.00pm
During these sessions library users can return books, collect reservations and choose from a limited selection of books to borrow. Reservations will also be available to collect from any other LiveWire library.
Library staff will be going into local primary schools to deliver the Summer Reading Challenge and will also have a presence at various community events throughout the summer promoting the library service. An adult reading group in an alternative venue is also planned.
Emma Hutchinson, Managing Director of LiveWire, said: “We are hugely excited that work is to begin on the £200,000 redevelopment of Stockton Heath Library. From more flexible spaces to dementia friendly design, these ambitious plans are an example of what can be achieved when partner organisations and the community work together to help build a sustainable future for our libraries.
“We thank everyone in advance for their patience during the redevelopment of Stockton Heath Library, which we know will be rewarded with a much-improved library service for the people of Stockton Heath and surrounding area.”
For more information on LiveWire’s libraries, including library locations, please visit: https://livewirewarrington.co.uk/library/using-livewire-libraries