Dementia Action Week 2019
- Category: Lifestyle
- Published: 14 May 2019
LiveWire to mark Dementia Action Week at Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub
Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub and The Garden Spa are to take part in the Alzheimer’s Society’s Dementia Action Week later this month.
Running from Monday 20th to Sunday 26th May, the week aims to unite people, workplaces and communities to take action and improve the lives of people living with dementia.
Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub, off Lingley Green Avenue, opened its doors in February 2018 after an extensive refurbishment, which included redesigning the building to meet leading dementia-friendly standards throughout, creating a safe and welcoming environment for people living with the condition and their carers.
The LiveWire-run facility’s dementia-friendly features include natural and artificial lighting, signage and floor finishes, accessible toilets and a 'quiet room' as well as a weekly dedicated ‘Healthy and Happy’ exercise class held every Monday from 10.45am to 11.45am, twice-weekly ‘quiet’ hours in the gym and designated swim sessions for people living with dementia and their carers. The Garden Spa, LiveWire’s luxury wellness spa, opened in February 2019 and offers dementia-friendly treatments.
Ways that Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub and The Garden Spa are marking Dementia Action Week include:
- Free guest passes for dementia patients and carers.
- A free coffee morning for dementia patients and carers to be held from 11.45am – 2pm on Monday 20th May – directly after the ‘Happy and Healthy’ dementia-friendly exercise class. The event will include:
- Free refreshments
- Dementia advice and support
- Free mini-treatments from The Garden Spa team
- A representative from the Warrington Wolves Foundation will attend with information about the club’s ‘Buddy Scheme’ that helps people with dementia and their carers attend home games with the help of a nurse
- An opportunity to browse a selection of old photographs of Warrington through the years
- Hit songs from past decades playing during the event
- Two free dementia awareness sessions for the public, delivered by Melissa Critchley, Director of home care organisation Home Instead. These will be held on Monday 20th May at 7pm and Friday 24th May at 1pm. Both of these sessions are free but places are limited and must be booked in advance at any LiveWire library or at Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub.
- A display of items from the 1950s to the 1990s in the foyer of the Hub all week to help evoke memories of past decades.
- The Garden Spa will be offering free dementia-friendly mini-treatments all week for people living with dementia and their carers (subject to availability, at selected times).
Vicki Dunning, Operations Manager for LiveWire, said: “As a dementia-friendly building, with a dedicated programme for those affected by the condition, it was really important to us that Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub takes part in Dementia Action Week, along with The Garden Spa. We hope those living with dementia and their carers will find events like our coffee morning and foyer display enjoyable, and also invite the wider community to come along during the week to learn more about dementia and how to help those affected by the condition.”
For more information on Dementia Action Week at Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub or to register interest in attending the coffee morning or the dementia awareness sessions please contact Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub reception on 01925 724411. For more information on the dementia-friendly exercise programme at Great Sankey Neighbourhood Hub, please contact Catriona Sudlow on 01925 264 996 or email email@example.com. For more information on LiveWire please visit www.livewirewarrington.co.uk