Job Title: Leisure Assistant Location: Birchwood Community Hub Hours: 37 hours working a shift pattern…
Job Title: Prison Library Manager
Location: HMPS Risley
Contract Type: 12 months Fixed Term
Salary: £22,073 – £25,987
Hours of Work: Full time 37 per week
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and motivated Library Manager at HMP Risley.
About the role…
As the Prison Library Manager, you will support the educational aspects of prison life and with the support of Warrington’s public library service, promote literacy, reading and learning within the prison community. Other duties include:
- Be responsible for the day-to-day running of the services
- Manage staff and orderlies ensuring their awareness and engagement with the service’s aims and objectives
- Provide an effective enquiry, advisory and information service to prisoners and prison staff
- Participate in the development of education programmes; by providing library facilities and liaising with education staff in the planning of the service
- Be responsible for the management and monitoring of expenditure within the prison library budget including the acquisition, collection and organisation of books, information and materials in accordance with the needs of the prison community
- Ensure compliance with the Library Contract and Service Level Agreement, and produce regular reports and statistics on library use
To be successful as the Prison Library Manager, you will have library experience ideally with a background in prison, public or educational libraries, who has a deep understanding of the important role of libraries in society and enjoys reader development, stock management and supporting personal development for staff and customers. You will need good information and ICT skills, be a strong communicator and have the ability to be proactive, using your own initiative and prioritising workloads.
Other skills include:
- Minimum grade 4 English and Maths or Level 2 literacy and numeracy or relevant experience that demonstrates proficiency
- The ability to lead, manage and motivate a team of staff and orderlies to provide a customer focused and responsive service
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, friendly and approachable with a confident manner
- The ability to promote innovative ideas that will make the library relevant, well used, and will enable prisoners to learn and develop their literacy
- Strong IT literacy and competence in the use of computer packages, including the library management system and prison IT systems
This role is subject to DBC clearance and prison vetting.
For more information, please see the Job Description and Person Specification.
Close Date: 9.00am Friday 3rd March 2023