The Moat area at Great Sankey is a raised platform surrounded on three sides by a water filled moat. The northern arm has been infilled and the western arm is spanned by a bridge dated 1812. A short channel connects the eastern arm of the moat with a tributary of the Whittle Brook.
Barrow Old Hall once stood on the site as a timber-framed house, one of six moated sites in the medieval township of Bold. Its development as a moated site may have its origins in the 14th century. Early 17th century inventories record the existence of a hall, parlour and larder and a small domestic dwelling. The Tithe map for Bold shows a water filled moat surrounding a rectangular platform. On this stood a rectangular building, with two wings on the eastern side, described in 1859 as 'An ancient moated mansion, containing many excellent rooms surrounded by agreeable and productive grounds and gardens, with stables and outbuildings attached'. Towards the end of the 19th century the hall was converted into a country cottage, then demolished in 1924 leaving the moated site as a visible earthwork which is now a scheduled monument, listed in 1970.